Thursday 18 April 2013

The "Art's" of Procrastination:



I am currently sitting in the library of my college and looking around at the several empty seats that surround me. More then half of the seats are student-less yet there are laptops and books on all of them. Where have the student body of NUIG migrated too? OH waaaaaait.....

It’s that time of year again, when Facebook, Twitter and YouTube become the most interesting things in our lives. The Bialann (For those who do not speak Irish it means Restaurant, and in my college it is the cafeteria of the college). is packed to the gills with hungry, tired and 'do anything but study' students. Procrastination is what we live for during exam time, anything to keep us from opening that book for the pending (may I add dreaded) exams. Refreshing your Facebook news feed ten thousand times a day is a must and that video on YouTube of ‘How animals eat’ must be watched a few more times because ‘Sure the exams are still a few weeks away’ (If you haven’t seen this video yet I urge you to drop everything you are doing and watch it NOW, you can thank me later!).

This sudden urge of procrastination that takes over the student body near exam time is a phenomenon.  Seemingly a number of students also take on bouts of this act throughout the year all caused by the act of ‘college work’. Colleges may have banned Facebook from library computers but that has  not stopped us from checking out what Kim Kardashian is eating for dinner or trying to get Dan from Geordie shore to 'follow' us.

2013 is an era where looking at a ‘wall’ is more interesting than reading a book.  Sitting at your laptop wishing that word count would go from zero to three thousand causes us to reward ourselves after 100 words to a go on a “short-break”. One minute on Facebook can turn into a three hour creep session on your friends, friends, hot friends neighbor.  That little red notification at the top of your page will fill your stomach with excitement only to find out it’s a Farmville request.

So the solution to this internet enslaved procrastination you say?

Well for some they need that night before stress to push them to work, others need there internet cable cut. While it’s all good and well to have a study break now and again throughout the day your degree is something that will last with you a life time. Only when all is said and done will you look back and wish you hadn't spent your day glued to your computer screen and instead  your head in the book. 

Now by all mean's I am know one to judge! I have procrastinated many hour's of my life away, but you learn from your mistakes. 
  
Did I mention I am procrastinating right now? Sure if I wasn’t how else would I know who of my 432 'friends' birthday it was?    

T-minus one weeks till exam time.

Oh, hello youtube…. 

X

No comments:

Post a Comment