Monday 24 April 2017

Downpatrick Head


I always say that I want to travel the world and see all the wonders that are out there. But yet I have barely experienced any of the sights or wonders of Ireland. So my friend Teresa and I set ourselves a bucket list: to try and tick off as many tourist spots that we can possibly do this summer. 
Starting with the closest: Downpatrick Head. It is a few miles North of Ballycastle village in County Mayo. So from where we live in South Sligo it was around an hour and 15 minutes.  

While it might not be for everyone I love the sea and to sit on a nice day and look out it was all the fresh air I needed.  The sea stack is called Dún Briste (broken fort) and is almost 40 meters in height.
It is also home to the ruins of a church, hold well and stone cross which all mark the site of a church that was founded by St. Patrick. There is also a blow hole and a viewing platform and an area where you can walk over and look down into the cracks of the sea below. 

I have never been to the Cliffs of Moher (I know...) but Teresa has and she said she much preferred Down Patrick in comparison to it. We did get it on a good day, so heads up if you're thinking of making the trip it would be brutal in bad weather as it was still quiet windy.  


 







GET THAT INSTA GIRL!!!!










The Bucket List for now.......

-Cliffs of Moher
-Giants causeway
-Carrick a rede bridge
-Skellig michael

any suggestions for more are welcome!


chow

x

No comments:

Post a Comment