Wednesday 3 August 2016

Speak only if it improves upon the silence.


19.7.16




Sorry?
What?
WHAT??
Sorry, what did you say?
Can you say that again?
I didn't hear you?
Can you repeat that again?

*nods, smiles and agrees even though you haven't a damn clue what they said*


My usual catchphrases.
Its not something I usually like talking about because it makes me self -conscious, even though it is something most of my closest friends know about but nonetheless I hate it.
I have bad hearing, is that what you say? Not deaf, but hard of hearing?
I'm 24 and I have two hearing aids. There I said it, it's out there. 

It's not the same as wearing glasses I don't think, not that I wear glasses but wearing glasses is something that seems so much more common than wearing hearing aids.
But everyone has their insecurities and this just so happens to be mine.
 Hearing aids are associated with elderly people, but here I am in my prime (HA) of life wearing them. Or sometimes (most of the time) not wearing them....it's so bad they should be like a second limb for me.

But wearing them is like hearing things for the first time, every movement is amplified 10 times more, my breathing, my voice is like hearing it in my chest, a scratching noise behind me, a car door slamming sounds like it's right up close beside me. But it beats having to constantly struggle in conversations, nodding and smiling like I know what you are saying. 

Do you know how many conversations that I have missed out on because I couldn't hear. Loads. 

some people do speak low, and god do I despise those people. followed by the sentence, are you deaf? when I say yes and then say I wear hearing aids it makes them retreat. 
Then there are the people that get frustrated because I have to ask them to repeat themselves.
In groups of people I often zone out because I can't hear what is going on, its annoying but its better than asking everyone to repeat themselves. People have often noticed that I zone out and don't pay attention but it's not that, its me not hearing what's being said and just giving up trying to figure it out.
 A bad habit I am forcing myself to get out of.  



anyways life is now a little louder for me and I guess it's something I just have to get used too. But if you are finding yourself struggling defiantly get it checked out. It's something that is heredity in both sides of my family so there was no escaping it, CHEERS FAM.  

also interesting new thriller film on Netlfix called Hush. It involves a deaf, mute woman and a killer. so.good.


chow. 

Sinead 



No comments:

Post a Comment