Monday 7 September 2015

Take every chance. Drop every fear.


If you told me this time last year I would have had my first day as a postgraduate over and done with I would have laughed! I thought I would still be wandering aimlessly through life as a deli girl heading nowhere pretty fast all the while still shacked up in my parents house with no internet yet an endless supply of free food. 

Now fast forward on to the present day and I am part-time deli girl and full time student! Living with four random people in a not so warm house. BUT it is one of the nicer college house's I have experienced (except the one weird housemate but I will leave that for another day!)
Orientation day was a daunting experience but I walked every inch of the University of Limerick campus with 14 other Journalism post grads and a few Law students and it actually went pretty well! The day has been a long time coming and even though I do not know a sin or soul in this college or county it has been a less scarier day than expected! Plus the pints at the end of it all made getting to know the class a bit easier. 

That's not to say I am not already shitting myself about the 15,000 word dissertation that we already have the title of that's due next August or the fact that I might not see my friends or family for a while because I got a part time job in Limerick as *DUN DUN DUN* a deli girl (we're the best kinda girls)

I know Sligo isn't a million miles away ( 138.5 miles to be exact and five and a half hours on a bus I'll have you know) and what really threw it into perspective today was the fact that a girl in my course has moved all the way from RUSSIA ( that is 3759 miles......give or take a mile). And here I am whinging about the bus trek home!!

Having officially had my first day of lectures over with I can say how PETRIFYING it actually was. And I think the lecturers take a slight satisfaction in warning us that this year is going to be SO INTENSE. It's a little shock to the system being back in a lecture, and having to take notes and also realizing half way through your notes that your spelling has deteriorated significantly since your last stint in college.

As if the swamp load of information wasn't enough to send my brain into overdrive the course director asked me to stand up in the middle of the room and answer; 'Where do you see yourself in five years?' To which I not so confidently answered, 'um hopefully writing somewhere as a journalist'.  Now if I just repeat the mantra, 'I am a journalist' twenty times a day hopefully I will start to believe it, and in myself. I've always been the type of person to look around and feel a bit lost while also thinking that ever one else has got it sussed out already. It is time to have confidence and in this type of career it is key.

Now I am off to write a two min radio essay piece on Game of Thrones that is due tomorrow and then to start doing a presentation due Wednesday. Yes first day and we already have work.

Any one else start there first day as a fresher or post grad?

x



No comments:

Post a Comment